Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Country Gentlemen"

One definite difference that I have noticed between here and California is people’s attitudes toward strangers. Here in Texas when I am walking through campus or through any public place I can say hi to any stranger I pass and could easily strike up a conversation without it even feeling weird or awkward. In California, on the other hand, people are not always as eager to talk. A lot of people there seem wrapped up in their own business and are sometimes taken aback when a stranger shows politeness for no reason. I remember when I was little my family and I came on a trip to Texas to visit some of my cousins. As we were making a quick stop in Target a little boy walked up to my brother and me talking to us as if we were old friends. My brother and I were so confused and a little hesitant to take back to this random red headed boy.
This is one of the things I really like about Texas. I remember telling my roommate about it last year, about how I loved how I could say hi to anyone and everyone. She told me that’s how it is in Texas. She referred to it as the old idea of a “country gentleman” and how people here still value things such as opening the door for women, acknowledging strangers and much more.

I think this picture from rush is a great example of the attitudes of people in Texas. It was a great way to meet people and easily become friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment